When an individual is living with a serious illness and no longer benefits from curative treatments, hospice care embraces the patient and family as they focus on comfort and the end of life. This philosophy and way of caring takes over when the time comes that a cure is no longer probable.
Palliative care is focused on providing patients with relief from the symptoms, pain and stress from serious illnesses. This specialized medical care is aimed at improving the quality of life for both the patient and the family.
Hospice care includes a full menu of comfort care and integrative therapies including:
- Medications for symptom control and pain relief
- Regular visits by a registered nurse
- 24-hour availability of hospice nurses for consultation by phone or in the home
- Ongoing communication with the primary care physician
- Medical equipment and supplies for comfort and safety
- Integrative services including music, art, massage and pet therapies
- Social work services for guidance and support
- Specialized comfort care for dementia
- Chaplain services for spiritual care and support
- Access to extensive bereavement service
Hospice at the Timbers is provided by a hospice company of the resident’s choice. The Timbers maintains ongoing relationships with many hospice and palliative care companies in the Joliet and Shorewood area.